Welcome to Nural's newsletter focusing on how AI is being used to tackle global grand challenges.
Packed inside we have
- UK government sets out AI Safety Summit ambitions
- Salesforce embeds conversational AI across the platform with Einstein Copilot
- and OpenAI is reportedly earning $80 million a month
If you would like to support our continued work from £2 then click here!
Key Recent Developments
Salesforce embeds conversational AI across the platform with Einstein Copilot
What: Salesforce have launced Einstein GPT which delivers AI-created content across sales, service, marketing, commerce, and IT interactions on the platform. A selection of use cases include:
- Einstein GPT for Sales: Auto-generate sales tasks like composing emails, scheduling meetings, and preparing for the next interaction.
- Einstein GPT for Service: Generate knowledge articles from past case notes. Auto-generate personalized agent chat replies to increase customer satisfaction through personalized and expedited service interactions.
- Einstein GPT for Marketing: Dynamically generate personalized content to engage customers and prospects across email, mobile, web, and advertising.
- Einstein GPT for Slack Customer 360 apps: Deliver AI-powered customer insights in Slack like smart summaries of sales opportunities and surface end users actions like updating knowledge articles.
- Einstein GPT for Developers: Improve developer productivity with Salesforce Research’s proprietary large language model by using an AI chat assistant to generate code and ask questions for languages like Apex.
Key Takeaway: With this announcement, Madrona's AI landscape chart (Below) comes to mind. The foundation model layer seems to be dominated by a finite number of LLM organizations, but at the application layer a major trend is the incorporation of generative AI into existing software offerings.
The question of where true long term value capture will exist has yet to be determined. Applications own the consumer's attention and have deep understanding of use cases, as demonstrated by Salesforce's launch. Additionally, It would stand to reason that foundation models will become increasingly commoditized through time, particularly with the increase of open source models and better tooling. In this world, the majority of value capture will exist at the application layer.
UK government sets out AI Safety Summit ambitions
What: UK's AI Safety Summit will bring key countries, leading technology organisations, academia and civil society together. It will take place on 1st and 2nd November at Bletchley Park.
Topics to be covered:
- a shared understanding of the risks posed by frontier AI and the need for action
- a forward process for international collaboration on frontier AI safety, including how best to support national and international frameworks
- appropriate measures which individual organisations should take to increase frontier AI safety
- areas for potential collaboration on AI safety research, including evaluating model capabilities and the development of new standards to support governance
- showcase how ensuring the safe development of AI will enable AI to be used for good globally
OpenAI is reportedly earning $80 million a month
Food for thought?
- What is the revenue breakdown between consumer subscriptions and enterprise API consumption charges?
- How long will their first mover advantage protect them before it becomes a pricing war amongst other major labs and open source entities?
Other interesting reads
🚀DiffBIR: Towards Blind Image Restoration with Generative Diffusion Prior - Pretrained text-to-image diffusion models for blind image restoration
Cool companies found this week
Stack AV - Stack is developing advanced autonomous systems designed to meet the safety, reliability, and efficiency demands of the trucking industry.
Axelera AI - Edge AI chip maker supporting high-performance, low-power machine learning computation. They received over $50m in funding.
Nural Research Founder
If this has been interesting, share it with a friend who will find it equally valuable. If you are not already a subscriber, then subscribe here.
If you are enjoying this content and would like to support the work financially then you can amend your plan here from £2/month!